Renewed spaces – U educate
Erasmus+ programme – KA204 Strategic Partnerships for adult education
Project number: 2020-1-FR01-KA204-080064_202010071705-1
Our project aims to rehabilitate abandoned public areas by involving local actors to take ownership of the area and create social links through innovative methods of non-formal education and citizen participation. We believe that giving a second life to these areas, by developing economic and/or
cultural activities, contributes to upgrade our territory by directly involving the inhabitants.
Within the partner local communities, there are many abandoned public spaces, especially in popular neighborhoods. Restoring life to these places in the communities helps to improve the wellbeing of the inhabitants, to feel integrated into their community and to create new opportunities for the development of the territory.
Our project is focused on the development of social enterprises that aim to combine economic efficiency and social impact in order to better exploit abandoned public spaces. In order to develop concrete methods for the involvement and effective engagement of citizens in the development of their community, we wish to develop this strategic partnership project involving 4 European partners from France, Romania, Italy and Greece. We will involve 5 participants per partner
country, educators/facilitators and territorial agents from the local communities concerned who will be trained to actively contribute in the implementation of the local activities planned. They will mentor 40 adults beneficiaries, including some with fewer opportunities, in their training and in the setting up of local initiatives for entrepreneurship, by experimenting with the pedagogical tools that will be created.
AIMS OF OUR PROJECT
The main objective of our project is to promote the adoption of innovative practices in rehabilitating abandoned areas and by developing collaborative and accessible learning approaches for adult education.
Our operational objectives are to:
– Enable adult educators and territorial staff from various European countries to exchange experiences and best practices, and to develop skills on how to mobilize the citizens of their communities in a process of positive territory change.
– Develop innovative educational methods that encourage commitment to active citizenship and
social entrepreneurship for the benefit of local communities by focusing on an efficient
development of abandoned public spaces.
– Raise awareness and mobilize local authorities and policy makers to increase their interaction with
citizens and to involve them more in a participatory development process for the benefit of the
– Elaborate innovative initiatives for the management, development and exploitation of abandoned
public spaces, taken by partners and local actors at large-scale, as good practices for local,
sustainable, participatory and inclusive development.
The quantitative results of our project will be as follows:
• The results of a research survey aimed at detecting abandoned public spaces and the proposals of local citizens for the development and operation of these spaces according to their needs.
• 3 interactive online training courses meeting the support needs of adults who wish to invest as social entrepreneurs to renew and operate abandoned public spaces.
• 4 E-tutorial videos to support and develop the inspiration of stakeholders during the planning and development of public spaces to be improved.
• A technical & educational guide in interactive and offline versions, complementary to the videos, on methods for involving citizens in the organization and management of abandoned public spaces in their community.
• A cartography (GIS – geographical information system) which locates and gives a visual overview of the developed public spaces and the entrepreneurial initiatives set up by the beneficiaries of this project.
• Creation of a resource book that presents the process, results and impacts of the public spaces that will have been developed.
The qualitative results of our project will be as follows:
• Improvement of the training offer and resources to support adult learners in the field of social entrepreneurship for the development of the territory.
• Improvement of resource persons skills (educators, facilitators, mentors, etc.): Two training courses will take place for 20 beneficiaries in order to improve their mentoring skills (face-to-face and remotely) in the relevant field.
• Promotion of cultural diversity and diverse methodological approaches for the engagement of adults in local development through transnational partnership.
• Emergence of a reinforced dialogue between citizens and political decision-makers on the development of a common territory plan and the use of abandoned places for the benefit of the local communities concerned.
• Development of certain public spaces abandoned by various forms (volunteering / taking entrepreneurial initiatives / activities, etc.), especially in popular neighborhoods of the communities involved.
Duration of the project: 24 months: From December 2020- November 2022
Project coordinator: Györgyi Réka